The Automotor Journal, 1906:
"The Societe Anonyme d'Automobile et de Traction (Bardon) show two complete cars, as also one with the body removed. The arrangement of the propelling gear on these machines differs materially from any that we have seen before.
The motor has one cylinder with two pistons, the connecting rods from which drive two independent parallel shafts at either end of the motor. The cylinder is placed transversely across the front of the vehicle, and the two crank-shafts are carried, longitudinally, on either side of the frame to a counter-shaft lying across it and fitted with a bevel wheel at each end. Each of the crank-shafts gears with one of these bevel wheels. Riding upon the counter-shaft is a sleeve which can be driven by, or disconnected from, the shaft by a clutch. The sleeve carries three spur wheels, either of which can be brought into mesh with a corresponding spur wheel on the differential shaft. One of these spur wheels can cause a reverse motion of the differential shaft, when an idle spur wheel is brought into gear with it and its corresponding wheel by a foot-pedal. The rear wheels are driven by means of a chain from the extremities of the differential shaft. The diameter of the cylinder is about 31 inches (in the larger size 4 inches), and the combined stroke of the two pistons is about 8 inches. The power of the smaller motor is about 5-h. p. Three brakes are fitted.
Water circulation is maintained by a pump driven by friction from one of the flywheels; there are two fly wheels on each crank-shaft."